Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer Job Savings

As I'm beginning to write this blog post, the rock tune with the catchy lyrics "school's out for the summer" plays in my head. I can't recall the group, but their song was a hit and I remember lots of us singing it when the school year ended. Many teens and college students are hoping to land a full- or part-time job over the summer break. Given the tough job market and plenty of unemployed people looking for work, the competition will be fierce. I know there will be lots of activities over the summer that kids will want to participate in and having a summer job will surely help pay for many of these events. However, it's a good idea to save some of the money earned on the summer job. I suggest saving $5 per paycheck in order to help pay for things you will need when school starts such as clothes, footwear, supplies and more. If you are able to save more, that's even better. I think you will be surprised at how much you've saved by the time the summer job ends. Don't forget that taking your lunch to work is a good way to save money by not eating out. If it's feasible, check with a co-worker who may be working the same hours to see if you can carpool.

I have heard that young adults and college graduates will be the first hires by companies when they truly start to ramp up their hiring. I like this news and they deserve a chance to get their foot in the door to start on a career path. Be frugal with your summer job earnings and you will be ready to head back to school with all the things you need. Frugal Rocks!

4 comments:

  1. Very good post! I'm in that boat now, a college student looking for summer work. This will be my first summer since I was 14 that I haven't automatically had a job. Pray that I find something!

    artofbeingcool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will definitely pray that you find a summer job. Hang in there and hope you hear the words "you're hired" very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "School's Out" is by '70s rocker Alice Cooper, Cynthia. And regarding your advice to save a little money each paycheck, you are very, very wise. Your generation is certainly trying to not repeat the mistakes of your parents. To which I say hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Terry for the name and I was hoping someone would remember it :)Every little bit of savings helps and it's a good habit to begin. So nice to have you visit my blog. I really enjoy yours :)

    ReplyDelete